Recovering from a heart attack or heart procedure requires teamwork.
OCH’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Cardiac rehab is a supervised education and exercise program for those who have experienced illness associated with cardiovascular disease, heart failure, angioplasty, including chest pain, heart attack, coronary bypass surgery, stents, valve replacement and heart transplant. The goal of the program is to restore participants to an optimal level of health, so they may perform activities of daily living, return to work, improve cardiovascular conditioning and meet their personal goals.
The cardiac rehab department uses American Heart Association (AHA) educational materials, as the AHA is recognized world-wide as an expert on heart health.
Program participants are educated about risk factors for cardiovascular disease and necessary lifestyle modification, with special emphasis on the following subjects:
- Smoking Cessation
- Hypertension Management
- Dietary Guidelines for a Heart Healthy Diet
- Weight Reduction
- Safe Activity and Exercise Guidelines
- Stress Management
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Circulatory System
- Risk Factor Reduction
- Physician approval is required to participate in the program and monthly progress reports are sent to keep the physician informed of your progress.
- Exercise program is supervised by trained health care professionals, including a registered nurse.
- Heart rate is monitored by telemetry and each participant is taught how to take his own pulse.
- Blood pressure is taken before, during and after each session.
- Program participants use a variety of exercise equipment, including air bikes, recumbent bikes, arm ergometers, treadmills, an indoor walking track and dumbbells.
We will obtain your medical history and physician clearance.
We will assist you in meeting your goals to improve your health and quality of life.
Phase I - The Hospital Setting
The first phase begins while the patient is in the hospital for cardiac diagnostic testing or after a cardiac event, intervention or surgery. Introductory educational materials are provided, and supervised progressive activity is enacted.
Phase II - Outpatient Rehab
The second phase is a monitored exercise program conducted on an outpatient basis in the cardiac rehab area of the OCH HealthPlex. Rehab sessions are every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Your insurance company will determine the amount of visits you are pre-certified for based on your condition. Phase II is focused on continued education and supervised exercise. Each participant's blood pressure, heart rate, and cardiac rhythm is monitored closely throughout each exercise session, which is based upon your personal capability and health status.
Cardiac rehabilitation Phase II is reimbursed by Medicare Part B and by most insurance companies. We will contact your insurance company and complete any necessary pre-certification requirements.
Doctors & Nurses
OCH Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Center Nurse Practitioner Stephanie McCain, FNP-C, has received the 2021 […] [ More ]
OCH Regional Medical Center is proud to welcome Dr. Ryan Looney to OCH Medical Associates. […] [ More ]
OCH Regional Medical Center has been recertified by DNV and once again awarded full certification […] [ More ]